I purchased my Surly ECR as a frame kit and the choice of the parts was always taken with the aim to build a „Unimog“. Cycling far away on gravel roads, in the mountains with a lot of stuff to carry, without any infrastructure nearby and nevertheless coming home without any technical problem, these where my goals constructing this Surly ECR.
The first trip with this bike started 2014 in Tbilisi, crossing the Caucasian mountains, arriving at the Black Sea in Batumi and cycling back to Tbilisi. The second trip in 2015 was a tour around Cuba. Currently, I´m not able to imagine a better bike for those rough trips in the outback. *Update 2016* – The Salsa DEADWOOD seemed to have similar outback genes as the ECR…..hardly surprising as Salsa and Surly are coming out of the same stables.
Here a list of the components I used to build up my “Unimog ECR” Outback Bike:
- Surly ECR framekit 2014, Large with Surly 4130 CroMoly fork
- Headset NC 17 with ceramic bearing and Carbon Spacers
- Handlebar Crank Brothers Iodine 3 AM Riser, 740mm, rise 30mm
- Handles SQlab
- Stem Crank Brothers Iodine 2, 65mm
- Seatpost Crank Brothers Cobalt 1 Setback Seat Post 27,2mm
- saddle SQLab 602 Brown leather
- Fenders made of wood (DIY – handmade)
- Tires Knard 29 x 3.0 – Back 27 TPI / Front 120 TPI
- Rims Velocity Blunt 35 with 40 holes
- Spokes DT alpine III® silver
- Hubs White Industries M16 Tandem / 40 hole Weight: 193 grams front and rear 324 grams. Cassette body and Clincher titanium / freewheel with 24 teeth, Silver.
- Drive crank SRAM X9, with 20, 32, 42 chainrings, the 20er is of stainless steel.
- Cassette Shimano XT M771 10 Speed MTB with adapted gradation: 11,13,16,19, 21,24, 28, 32, 36 , 41. The 41 tooth rear cog is a custom made stainless steel cog designed to fit behind 8, 9 or 10 speed cassettes. Here a Link to the Ebay Store
- Chain SRAM Power chain PC1051 10-speed
- Pedals Shimano XTR PD-M985
- Shifter Front / Rear SRAM X.9 – 3 × 10 ZeroLoss
- Rear derailleur SRAM X9 Type 2 Carbon, Grey
- Front derailleur SRAM X.9 3x high clamp, direct mount
- Shifting set Jagwire Mountain Pro
- Brakes Avid Elixir CR, front 203 mm, back 180 mm
- Luggage rack back Tubus Logo Evo 29 black
- Lowrider Tubus Duo
- Front Rack Salsa Minimalist bicycle rack type II
Pictures speak clearer than words … Here is a small selection of overall and detailed views of the construction phase (not final version). Clicking on the image takes you to a high-resolution view. Have fun with it.